Important correspondence with the SCA community will be posted here about St. Catharine Academy's reopening. Alerts will also be sent by email, phone call and/or text.
St. Catharine Academy Reopening Plan
Guiding Principles for Reopening:
- The health, safety and well-being of all SCA students, personnel, vendors, and visitors is paramount.
- The issue of educational equity is at the forefront of SCA’s thinking and decision-making.
- The guidance of this document is student-centered.
- There will be regular and frequent communication between parents, guardians, faculty, staff and students.
- The educational environment will prepare students for rigor and independent learning.
- SCA will follow guidelines recommended by the Archdiocese of New York Department of Education, New York State Education Department and the Department of Health, for the health, safety and well-being of all connected to SCA.
- Several items have been quoted from the NYS Education Department’s recommendations.
Summary of SCA’s Guidance Document’s Provision:
Health and Safety
- SCA will perform health screening checks for all persons entering the SCA building.
- SCA has developed a plan for recommended social distancing.
- SCA will manage and isolate ill students and personnel until they can be sent home.
- SCA will instruct students and personnel in proper hand and respiratory hygiene.
- SCA requires the wearing of proper face covering.
- SCA will develop cleaning and disinfection procedures in accordance with CDC and DOH guidance.
- SCA will promote social distancing while maintaining existing safety requirements to protect both students and personnel.
- SCA will continue to conduct mandatory fire and lockdown drills.
- SCA students and personnel will have the option to pre order box lunches.
- SCA will not have any breakfast service at this time.
- SCA students may bring their own lunch to school but, for health reasons, they will not have access to refrigerators or microwaves.
- SCA students and personnel travel to SCA by various modes. Some travel by car, bus, train or walk to school. All students and personnel will be instructed on local health and safety guidelines depending on the mode.
- Through Theology and Guidance classes, SCA students will prioritize social emotional well-being in order to create mental, social and emotional space for academic learning to occur.
- SCA will adhere to state and local health and safety guidelines for the appropriate learning environment for its students and personnel. SCA has drafted a comprehensive plan for Distance Learning, Hybrid Learning and In Person Learning. Plans will be finalized once New York Department of Health, Department of Education, the Board of Regents and the Archdiocese of New York have finalized their mode of reopening.
Attendance and Chronic Absenteeism
- SCA will supervise daily students’ engagement and will collect daily attendance regardless of the learning environment.
Technology and Connectivity
- All fully registered SCA students will receive an iPad with all the programs, and instruction materials loaded onto their device.
- All SCA students have attended an orientation in
- they have received their iPad and instruction on its use, submission of materials and assessments.
Teaching and Learning
- All SCA personnel and students will have teaching and learning requirements for equitable instruction ensuring continuous learning regardless of instructional model.