SCA Students and Parents/Guardians of Classes 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025,
Thank you to all the students, parents/guardians, and unsung helpers that made this last year doable and memorable. Although summer is beginning and we need a break from school, it is time to talk about our plans for the 2021-2022 school year.
St. Catharine Academy is planning for a complete opening with all students learning in-person for the 2021 – 2022 academic year. We anticipate new guidelines regarding the operation of schools over the summer, but, at the moment, it appears students will need to continue to wear masks in school. Distancing will vary depending on where the student is within the school building. Updates will be published on our website as they become available.
The safety and well-being of our students and personnel is critical. New York State has stated that it will provide clearer directives during the summer based on the work of the statewide committees. SCA continues to have committees for Operations, Health and Safety, Instructional Practices, Mental Health and Communications. We do want to work within the local norms, but also want to develop policies and procedures that will uniquely benefit our students’ educational needs.
One of the most valuable resources for you and your daughter is the St. Catharine Academy Student/Parent Agenda Book, which contains all the policies and practices that apply to life at SCA. In late August, we will ask you to read this book online. In the Fall, you will be asked to sign the Parent Acknowledgement Form indicating you are aware of the Agenda Book policies including the asbestos and pesticide letter. The Student/Parent Agenda book will be posted on the SCA web page. We will send an email to let you know when the information is posted online.
On behalf of the faculty and staff, I wish you a wonderful, safe, and healthy summer, and I look forward to another year of service with you as principal of SCA.
Sr. Ann M. Welch, RSM
I would especially like to highlight some items for you:
Beginning on Monday, June 28th, the office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The school building will be closed from August 2nd to August 16th for renovation and moving work. If there is a need to communicate with SCA during that time, please use the school website and someone will get back to you.
SPORTS SUMMER AND FALL TRY-OUT SCHEDULE
In order to try out for any sport, all students must have a current medical (valid for 1 year) on file with the school nurse. Students must have an interval form sent to the nurse. Students who have had COVID-19 must have a separate clearance form from their doctor. All forms are available on our website and should be sent to the school nurse - firstname.lastname@example.org
Student-athletes must have all service hours for the upcoming school year submitted to Mrs. Schmid by email no later than August 15th. Students who are not current with their service hours will not be permitted to try out for a Fall sport.
Student-athletes must be available every day beginning on Monday, August 23rd. We cannot allow anyone to try out who is not able to be here on Monday, August 23rd. The Fall season begins immediately.
Volleyball - Monday, August 23rd - 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Students in Grades 11 and 12
Monday, August 23rd - 12:00 noon - 2:00 p.m. - Students in Grades 9 and 10
Dance - Monday, August 23rd - 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Students in all grades.
Cheer - Monday, August 23rd - 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Students in all grades.
Winter sports will begin in November and Spring sports will begin in March.
The first tuition payment for the 2021-2022 school year begins in June for the 10th, 11th & 12th grades. The incoming 9th grade starts in July 2021. You will be billed according to the date you chose on your Facts Tuition Management Program.
The first two tuition payments and all fees must be paid in order for your daughter to start school in September. Students whose tuition is in arrears will NOT receive a program card or transportation pass.
TRUSTEE SCHOLARS and FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
Trustee Scholars will be named after the AP exam results are received. Unlike previous years, AP results are not available until after July 21st. For people that took the later online AP exam version, those score release dates are even later in the summer. SCA will notify families as the scores become available. To qualify as a Trustee Scholar the following requirements need to be met:
- Students need a weighted GPA of 94% or greater.
- On Regents exams, mid-term exams or finals, no grade lower than 85% or in the upper 20% if the 20% did not attain 85% or above.
- Students must have taken the PSAT in January 2021. C '22 and C' 23 must show a cumulative growth of 50 points or more in English and Math. For the exceptional student whose combined score is over xx, the 50-point growth is waved. For C '24 and first-time PSAT takers, a score of 450 or greater in English and 400 or greater in Math is needed.
- AP results must be greater than a score of 1.
- All grade-level services must be up to date by July 21st.
- All potential Scholars must apply for the National Honor Society if invited.
- All Scholars must follow the prescribed advanced curriculum.
For Financial aid - applications need to be made through FACTS and decisions will be made by the end of July.
Students may bring their lunch to school, purchase breakfast and lunch at school through a private service and have access to the microwave, student refrigerator and vending machines in the cafeteria.
- Student lunch deliveries will not be accepted once the school day starts.
- Specifics about lunchtime and lunchroom arrangements will be according to NYS and local guidelines.
SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS and COURSE SELECTION SHEETS:
Summer Assignments can be found on the website under the Student Tab. In addition, an IRIS alert will also be sent.
A list of courses selected for the 2021 - 22 school year is included in this packet. AP placement for U.S. History and Government will be contingent upon a score greater than 1 on your current AP exam. You will be notified if you no longer qualify for those courses after July 21st. The fee for the AP exam will be added to the November tuition bill.
The student's school email address and password can be found on the Course Selection Sheet.
Questions about course placement or selection should be directed to Ms. Melucci-Ivanov at email@example.com by July 16, 2021.
Students in all grades and who are in good standing will receive their school schedules by student email the week of August 27th.
Once the schedule is released to students in late August, students with schedule problems or questions must email their Ms. Melucci-Ivanov by Tuesday, September 14th. There will be a $100.00 fee for a schedule change not recommended by a Guidance Counselor or the Assistant Principal of Academics. There will be no teacher or lunch preference changes made.
A student may not drop down a course level during the first two weeks of school. A student has been carefully placed in the course by looking at their testing records, student’s choice, teacher recommendation, and parent/student approval.
If a student withdraws from a class after the class is in session for two weeks, a withdrawal grade will be assigned. The first-semester withdrawal date is September 24, 2021; the second-semester date is February 11, 2022.
MEDICAL FORMS and COVID - 19:
All incoming ninth-graders and transfer students must have a physical exam. Outstanding medical forms must be handed in on orientation day to homeroom teachers.
Students without complete immunization records will be suspended as of October 15th until completed records are submitted.
We recommend that all families complete their COVID-19 vaccinations before returning to school in September. This helps both individual students and our school community remain healthy for the new year. If you would like to share proof of your daughter's immunization, please forward a copy of your immunization card to the school nurse. If you have specific concerns about the vaccine, please contact your physician.
- navy blue long-sleeved V-neck cardigan sweater or navy V-neck sweater vest with logo or navy ¼ zip with school logo.
- white or navy banded bottom polo shirt with SCA logo, long or short sleeve.
- Gray slacks for 9th & 10th graders & navy slacks for 11th & 12th graders with scripted SCA logo.
- Solid black shoes or sneakers with no decoration or logo. No open-back shoes. No CROCS.
- Blue pin-striped cotton kilt (2-3” above the knee) may be worn in September, October, May and June. If a student chooses this option, she must also wear solid white tights and solid black shoes or solid white sneakers. No knee highs.
- SCA sweatshirts can be worn on Fridays.
- Seniors, as a privilege, may wear their senior sweatshirt or sweater daily.
Uniform Company: Please direct all questions regarding the purchase of uniform items to:
Flynn & O’Hara
174 Westchester Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Metro passes will be issued by NYC depending on Fall guidelines for student transportation.
CLASS OF 2022 SENIOR PICTURES:
Members of the Class of 2022 will be receiving information regarding Senior Picture appointments by email. Picture dates are Monday, August 23rd, Tuesday, August 24th and Friday, August 27th.
SCHOOL YEAR SCHEDULE:
- Tuesday, Sept. 1 - Orientation for C’25 who missed the June Orientation and Transfer student Orientation
- Wednesday, Sept. 2 - C’ 25 and C’24 - Full class Orientation - 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Thursday, Sept. 9 - C’25 and C’ 24 orientation (time schedule will be emailed out)
- Thursday, Sept. 9 - C’25 and C’24 Student & Parent BBQ Information session 5:30 pm
- Friday, Sept. 10 - all school Orientation
- Monday, Sept 13 - Full Classes begin
- Monday, Oct. 11 - Columbus Day/Indigenous People’s Day - no school
- Friday, Nov. 5 - Quarter 1 ends
- Wednesday, Nov. 10 - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, Nov. 11 - Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, Nov. 25 - Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, Nov. 26 - No school
- Thursday, Dec. 23 - Christmas Break begins
- Monday, Jan 3 - School resumes
- Monday, Jan 17 - Martin Luther King Day
- Friday, Jan. 21 - Quarter 2 ends
- Jan 24 - 28 - Semester 1 exams
- Monday, Jan 31 - Quarter 3 begins
- Thursday, Feb. 3 - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Monday, Feb. 21 - Presidents Day - no school
- Wednesday, Mar. 2 - Ash Wednesday
- Friday, Mar 18 - no school
- Friday, Apr. 1 - End of Quarter 3
- Friday, Apr. 8 - Spring Trip to Italy & Greece begins
- Monday, April 11 - Spring Break begins
- Monday, Apr. 25 - School resumes
- Thursday, May 26 - Prom
- Friday, May 27 - No school
- Monday, May 30 - Memorial Day - no school
- Graduation C’22 TBA
- Friday, Jun 10 - last day of regular classes
- Monday, Jun. 13 - Final Exams begin
- Friday, June 24 - last day of school
Wednesday, September 1 - Orientation for incoming students who did not attend Kick-Off and Transfer Students
Any incoming student who did not participate in the Kickoff program for 9th graders and all transfer students will be invited to a one-day orientation on Wednesday, September 1st from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon. Each student will receive their school-issued iPad, email, passwords, and other programs and apps.
On Thursday, September 2nd, students in Grades 9 and 10 will host Welcome to SCA Day. Grade 9 will be from 9:00 a.m until 11:00 a.m. and Grade 10 will be from 12:00 p.m. until 2:00 p.m.